Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Race

As I mentioned compulsively throughout the past week, M and I signed up for Sunday's "Wienna Run For Breast Charity".    I'm so happy to have had this experience with him.

Look at my boy.  He looks about 10.
The sun wasn't quite up yet.  Sorry for the dark photo.

I will spare you the 250 pictures Whim took of us from the rear and show just this one.  It's a true glimpse into our morning.

M was not competitive.  He walked and ran and meandered and explored.  Sometimes as someone passed us by, I'd urge him on: "Let's go.  Don't let them pass us!"  But he didn't mind. It was good for me.

There will be other races for learning about drive and determination.  This time we just had one goal.
No broken bones.  Clear to keep going!


We made a deal ahead of time that we could run and we could walk, but we wouldn't quit, and I wouldn't carry him.

At one point he fell off a low garden wall (you can see it in the picture) and it threatened to do us in, but even through tears he said again and again that he didn't want to quit.

(He did ask to be carried a few times after that, but when I reminded him of our deal, he kept on trucking.)

 I'm so proud of him.  Even though it was a short race, it wasn't all easy.





Proudly showing his medal.  We can't wait for the next race.

But it was totally worth it!
 



10 comments:

  1. I think your son certainly learned about drive and determination that day. You must be so proud! You both completed your goal even with diversions of boo-boos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I loved competitive racing as a young person and teenager, and I believe it's part of why I am so tenacious as an adult. I would enjoy seeing my sons grow up the same way, but you never can tell. :)

      Delete
  2. hooray! congratulations to you both, that is so awesome! good job Miles. his name is perfecting for running! ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. You're right Tara. I never thought of that. :)

      Delete
  3. Aww, he must be so proud of himself for making it the whole way! I also love your matching outfits. So cute! (found you through TALU)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He totally was. And then was totally ready to be picked up and carried the second we crossed the finish. Thanks Emily! :)

      Delete
  4. I love it!! (and I love his proud smile with his medal!!) What a fantastic thing to do together!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. He has it hanging above his bed now. I hope there will be more races ahead for us.

      Delete
  5. That's really cool you got to do that together. I'm sure it reminded you of your running days. Awesome he finished it. That smile at the end is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really did remind me of our old cross country days. I hope they'll both get into running as they get older. :)

      Delete