Sunday, October 7, 2012

Sometimes love is a disfigured spiderweb cake

I like doing things I am good at.

I liked school because I did well.  I like translating because I know I can do it right.  Math puzzles are my favorite because, even if they are hard, I know I can figure them out, and in the end I will feel clever and competent.

Yesterday I made M's birthday cake.  L can't have too much sugar -it makes him susceptible to seizures.  It's gluten free and additive free, and I'm afraid it isn't very tasty.  My boys will like it because they don't know any better.  But to everyone else, it's an advertisement that I'm not a great cook.

I had a plan to decorate it with a spiderweb.  It seemed like an easy, dye-free way to fit the theme.
It looks awful.  I scraped the whole web off and tried it a second time, but the second time wasn't much better.   The perfectionist part of me doesn't want to serve it.  But only my pride is on the line.   M is going to love it, and it's his birthday.

Sometimes love is swallowing your pride and serving your guests a disfigured spiderweb cake.




6 comments:

  1. I think it looks great, Robin! And you're right...as long as Miles loves it, that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mel. He really did love it, and it just never occurred to him that it could look any nicer. :)

      He and Lennon both liked the taste, too. I'm not sure about the other kids but I didn't hear any complaints - their moms have trained them well. :)

      Delete
  2. Are. You. KIDDING ME??!!! That looks FANTASTIC. It looks just like the spider web cake you had posted as the example. Your webbing is AWESOME. If I tried to do that, nobody would be able to discern what I was trying to pipe on the top.

    I sounds like they loved it...so it was delicious too! Total Mom WIN!! --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! Looking back, now I feel like it looks better than I thought it did at the time. ;)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Bryn! You were always more creative and crafty than me... You could make some amazing cakes, I'm sure.

      Delete