Sunday, October 14, 2012

sandwich hustler

Sometimes I get hustled by my kids.

Today M made a sandwich for the first time.   I read something somewhere, on some blog probably, about how a three-year-old should be able to follow a basic recipe.

Thankfully I have grown as mother since the time I freaked out when I realized one of his friends could write her name and I had basically never even put a pencil in his hand.  (He learned that weekend.  What?  He's smart.)  But it did make me think.

He does other age appropriate things like dress himself and bathe himself.  He knows keyboard shortcuts on the computer that I don't even know.  He even pours his own milk (unless the gallon is full.  I'm not that into supervising the wiping-up process for entire spilled jugs of milk.)  The only reason he doesn't do things like make sandwiches is because I haven't ever made (or let?) him try.   So when he asked for a sandwich for breakfast this morning I told him he could make it himself. 

It wasn't even a momentous occasion.  He just made it, and cut it in half, and ate it.  That's it.  He even opened the jam jar and bread bag.  It's like when he was younger and refused to acknowledge any color except blue despite months of clever attempts on my part to sneak the words into our playtime and drop them casually into our conversations, to the point that I eventually tried bribing him with M&Ms and it turned out he knew them all except brown.  What other hidden talents does he possess?

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, clumsy me...heheh. Ahem lemme try again. I think some kids don't display what they know until they can perfect them. My little brother did it a lot. Sweet isn't it, I mean when you know they can :)

      Delete
    2. That is a cute thought. I can see myself being that way as I child since I kind of still feel like that now.

      Delete
  2. This post cracked me up! My two year old is the same way. And, he called everything green for a while. Now he knows that blue is his favorite color, and he reminds me every time he sees it. But he doesn't like "that color that's on the pumpkin".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! How cute about the pumpkin color. He'll just have to suffer through Halloween and Thanksgiving. ;)

      Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  3. I love that he refused to acknowledge any other color! It's always so fun to see kids' personalities emerge. My niece and nephew are little stinkers, but it is so fun to watch them grow up and learn about them.

    Does this mean you can get him to make sandwiches for you now? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of that! Oh, the possibilities!

      Delete
  4. {Kathy} I remember very vividly my 4 year old son teaching his GRANDFATHER how to make a tuna sandwich. Let's just say it was a teaching moment for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahhahahaha! This comment just made my morning. :) Thanks, Kathy!

      Delete
  5. I love this!! What a great mom, letting him test his wings with a new task! They just feel so proud when they do things for themselves!! He's so adorable with the colors and M&Ms. That really made me laugh! --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa. He really does look cute when he's proud of himself. It's good when we give them chances to feel like that.

      Delete