Monday, October 22, 2012

M and Mom Together

Remember when Frog and Toad are eating themselves sick with chocolate chip cookies?  They tie them up in a box and put them on a high shelf, but it doesn't stop them from getting them down and cutting the string and eating them?


M and I read that story today during L's nap, and we agreed that gorging on cookies sounded like the perfect plan.  We tried this awesome recipe for Honey-Sweetened Peanut Butter Cookies, from A Dash of Sass, with a few subs to make it work for us.  Ours were Honey-Sweetened Sunflower Seed Paste cookies, and they were amazing.

In keeping with my sandwich-making post last week, I let M do as much as he wanted to.  He liked all the measuring and pouring in, but not much of the stirring or cookie-shaping.  He was also keen to put the cookies in the oven.   

Concentrate... concentrate.
A moment of shock when he thought he burned himself.
He didn't.
I'm sure the recipe as written is even better.  But our gluten-free, nut-free version was pretty great, too. I didn't even follow the part about mixing in separate bowls first (I'm a cookie rebel, I guess.  Or too lazy to have extra dishes), but I did leave the dough to sit for 10 minutes before adding the chocolate chips, as instructed.

These cookies called for a cup of honey, so even though they don't use sugar, they are still sweet.  And we've seen in the past that too many sweets make L susceptible to seizures, no matter the source.  So since this isn't a reduced-sugar recipe, we're having to limit his sugar intake the old-fashioned way.  Not letting him have too many.  Wish us luck!



We followed her recipe, with the following exceptions:
1 cup homemade sunflower seed paste in place of 1 cup peanut butter
2 cups Arrowhead Mills gluten free all purpose flour in place of 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour.
A few handfuls of dark chocolate chips in place of 3 oz. bar of dark chocolate.  Only because it's what we had on hand.
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla omitted.  Because we forgot.  Oops!  It's hard to bake with a four year old. :)

Today is our first day of October vacation and judging by these awesome cookies I'd say we're off to a great start.

8 comments:

  1. Yummy!!! It looks like he loved them! How fun to be cooking together! You're making such wonderful memories together!
    I love your pictures and your captions! :) He's just completely adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They turned out great- just like peanut butter cookies. We don't always bake a lot, but whenever we do, I resolve to do it more often. :)

      Delete
  2. I might have to give your recipe a try. The ingredients are so minimal which is perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today, after one night, they're still very good. Just a little bit chewy- sort of like an oatmeal cookie. They were more crumbly yesterday- I like them both ways. :) Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. I want to try this! Since going gluten free in February I've mostly gone without desserts, but I've been missing cookies. (Larabars are OK, but they really aren't cookies, you know?) Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! We really don't bake much either, at least not with GF flour... most of the time I use flour-free recipes (like black bean cakes.) These were a nice change.... they really were just like regular cookies.)

      Delete
  4. Just love all of the Frog and Toad books.... Sweet, sweet memories! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something about reading books from my childhood with the boys... no matter how fun and interesting new books are, they can't compare with my old favorites.

      Delete