Saturday, October 27, 2012

I don't know what we're eating, but I know what we'll be wearing

There are a lot of things I love about Thailand.

Incredible food.  Gorgeous beaches.  Tropical weather.  Unhurried lifestyle.  Kind people. 

One thing I have never fully appreciated, though, is the abundance of cheap tailors.

When we picked out our race shirts earlier this week, Miles got an adult small.  Despite being a mother-child race, they didn't offer children's sizes.  Hmm.... well, whatever.

We could have just gone with it.  It would be cute, right?  Scampy kid running in rolled-up sleeves, shirt hanging down to his knees, collar hanging off his shoulder.   That kind of stuff is pretty adorable, especially on a kid as cute as M.

But then, afterward, I would want to keep the shirt because, come on, memories!  But I wouldn't let him actually wear it because it would look sloppy and ridiculous.  And I know the only thing that keeps these moptop kids from looking like complete ragamuffins is cute outfits.  So it would be one more useless thing in the house, which is exactly what I am trying to cut down on.

Instead, I brought it to the tailor in the alley at Ram 2 market.  I expected him to cut off the bottom, hem it, and call it good.  Instead, for 60 baht, he remade the whole shirt in half an hour- small sleeves, small neckhole, small shoulders and body, completely normal proportions.  It's awesome!  For less than 2 dollars, he has a shirt he can actually wear afterward.  Well... except that it's pink.  But you can't win 'em all. 

Anyway, in case an entire post about M's shirt hasn't tipped you off, I'm really excited for the race tomorrow.  Wish us luck!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with the race Robin. That tailor you found is absolutely amazing! Heheh...and hey! What's wrong with a boy in pink? I think he pulls it off fabulously :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Xae! You're right- nothing wrong with a man in pink. It looks good on my husband.

      Delete
  2. He totally rocks the pink. No doubt about that! (and MAN I wish we could get alterations for that price!)

    I just realized that I'm reading late so the race was yesterday! I hope it was fun! Can't wait to hear all about it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a post brewing about the race- it was lovely.

      Delete
  3. Wow. A tailored T-shirt. That's the life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Forget those white sandy beaches.

      Delete