Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween

Today I took the boys Trick-or-Treating.

Does that make me look like a giant hypocrite?

They didn't eat the loot they got.  They didn't even take that much. 

For them, it was totally exciting, and totally not about the candy.  We dressed up and spent the evening walking around with friends, waving glow sticks and running in the streets.  Just that, by itself, was awesome.  They didn't need candy.

For me, it was a tradition.  Part of my childhood I get to watch them recreate.  We don't live in the US, but I want the boys to have those American experiences that I grew up with, even if we have to fake them a little.  People don't trick-or-treat in Thailand, but there's a neighborhood near our school with a quite a few western families, and they make it happen. 

And, if we're being honest, I had the most adorable costumes planned.  They were going to be Axl Rose and Slash.  Unfortunately, at the last minute, M insisted on being Batman (ie wear oversized batman jammies) thanks to a picture we saw online of Slash wearing a batman shirt.  Oh well.  At least L looked adorable.



















10 comments:

  1. Hello Robin I am here again! ;-)
    wow awesome that you had a fun Halloween with your boys! it doesn't matter even if you do not really celebrate this event in Thailand, this is a fun-filled event and i believe every kid in town must experience this ever! and I can that your boys enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MariaAna. Glad to see you again. :)

      They boys had a great time. Thank you. :)

      Delete
  2. not hypocritical at all. trick or treating is fun, even if you don't get to eat all the candy (or any of it).

    love the look on Lennon-totally rocker/badass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara.
      I think he looks pretty cool too. ;)

      Delete
  3. Your kids are impossibly cute.
    I'm glad you had a fun night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's great that your boys were able to have a great time and not care about the candy. They are so adorable (even Batman!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rita. They never even mentioned it afterward.

      It was easier than I even hoped. :)

      Delete