Thursday, October 4, 2012

Everybody's doing it


Look what I found today.

My mom sent these over when M was first born, saved from when my sister, Corey, and I were young.  Corey has just had a baby girl, so it's time to send them on.   

Normally, I would decide to send them, and then they'd sit on the couch in my room for about 6 weeks.  Eventually they would get taken downstairs and put on top of the piano in an attempt to get them closer to the front door, and then finally after about 2 more months, they'd be put back away in the boys' drawers.   I'd feel guilty about it, but obviously not guilty enough to just send them. 

Sometimes the thought of something like putting them in my bag, looking up her address, walking over to the post office, buying a large envelope, deciding on shipping options to mail the package just incapacitates me.   I blame my dad for teaching me to recognize a hassle from a mile away.   Too many steps.  Too hard to start.

But I have loved reading about other bloggers taking part in the 31 days of change this month.   They are overcoming inertia and tackling the mounds of crap that they have piled up in their houses.  I can say that because I also have piles of crap all over my house too.   And even though it's sloppy and frustrating and I would much rather just clean them up and live in a tidy house, I usually ignore them because it's too much of a hassle to just decide what to do with it all.  That's the thing.  If it had a place, I'd put it away.  The whole reason it's in the pile is because there's no good place for it to go.   Sometimes I wander over to a pile, pick something up and think, "Well where should I put this?"  I end up putting it back and ignoring the pile because I just can't decide. 

So the deal with 31 days is that people are just doing one thing every day.  Smart, right?  So if you choose getting your house organized, you don't feel overwhelmed thinking that if you can't deep clean the entire house you might as well not even bother sweeping.  Even though I'm not officially participating, I have been following along with Jules and Zdub and doing something every day, as well.  I love it.

Mostly I am throwing away senseless crap that I should have gotten rid of a long time ago, but it's a start.  I love the idea of attacking one thing at a time.  I'll probably be sick of it by the end of the month, but that's fine.  The challenge will be over and my house have 31 less messes than before. 

There just so happens to be a clothing drive going on at school, so today I went through the boys' clothes.  I pulled out everything they've outgrown and packed it up to take with me tomorrow.  (Not to mention the crap that was too gross to even donate.  Why was I saving those old, stained tshirts?!)   I was on such a roll, I organized the drawers: pants down here, socks over here, jammies over here.    So when I stumbled across those old baby clothes,  I decided I would ride the inertia all the way to the post office.  The baby clothes are in my bag.  I'm already 4 months ahead of schedule.

8 comments:

  1. You have totally hit the reason that I have so many piles of crap around my house. There's just nothing else to do with the stuff and so I just give up. You were on a roll today with your organizing! Yay! --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our house doesn't have any closets or anything, so I feel like everything is always out! Sometimes I wish I could just hide it all behind closed doors.

      Delete
  2. Even reading about all this cleaning in not doing anything for me...the crap in my house still remains crap. But YAY you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling, Xae! I'm surprising myself! There's still piles all over the place, but I'm going to knock them out one by one.

      Delete
  3. I can so relate to this post! Why is it so hard to do those little things? Oh, I know: Because you have young children! So, I don't have young children anymore and it's still hard. But it was harder when I was the Mommy of young ones. I think you're absolutely on the right track--one small thing every day can make a huge difference. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rita. I knew other people with kids would understand!

      Delete
  4. Ooh, if stuff makes it into my purse? That's half the battle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, I mailed them that next day after work. I couldn't even believe myself. They are going to span the globe and arrive at my sister's door faster than they usually would get moved the "loading zone."

      Delete