Saturday, October 20, 2012

Any mom would have done the same

Back me up, Moms.  And if you don't have kids yet, enjoy a peek into your future.

Every mom has been puked on, I'm sure.   It comes with the territory.  It's not even that big of a deal, really.  I can still remember the first time M was sick and threw up all down my back.  The only clear thought I had at the time, besides compassion for my poor boy, was a wave of relief that I wasn't selfish, after all.

You wonder - at least I did - if becoming a mom is enough to transform you.  Because before M was born, the level of selflessness I saw in mothers seemed unachievable to me.  But I am here to tell you that before the vomit hits the floor behind you, you're already over it and thinking about how to best sooth and comfort him.  Changing your shirt at some point is a necessity, but not a priority.  And cleaning up the mess is not a problem, either... the hard part is finding a way to put him down and keep him comfortable long enough to do it.


  So the other evening M was snuggled up in bed with me watching a movie.  He had been feeling under the weather, coughing quite a bit, and had actually coughed himself sick a few times already earlier that day.  He started up again and in one look, I had sized up the situation.  He was in the middle of my bed, surrounded by freshly-laundered sheets and blankets.  The bathroom was out of the question, and even the garbage can was going to be a stretch.  I had to move fast.  I turned to pick him up and even as I did, I knew it was too late.  I did the only thing I could.  I turned his head and let him puke onto my lap.

A disgusting victory.  I inchwormed off the bed and into the shower.  M recovered right away and I didn't even have to change the sheets.  I suspect any mom would have done the same.

12 comments:

  1. Oh! So true! I'll gladly take vomit on me if it means I don't have to change the sheets! Total victory there!

    Hope Miles is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahha! We know the secret- it's not self-sacrifice. We just don't want to change those sheets!
      Miles is doing much better thanks- he passed it all on to Lennon! :)

      Delete
  2. I might not be QUITE as self-sacrificing as you, Robin. Every time I hear of a mom putting a sick kid in her bed, I think, "are you CRAZY?"

    Both my kids had reflux when they were babies, and I got puked on so much by my son that some days I had changed my shirt SO MANY TIMES I just gave up and wore only a bra the rest of the day.

    Glad he's feeling better! Hope Lennon does too, soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds terrible!!!

      Well he wasn't sick to his stomach- he just coughed too hard. I wouldn't have let him in my fresh bed if I thought he would throw up. Or I'd have at least had a basin handy!!

      Delete
  3. What a sweet mama you are:) It is amazing to see how having sweet babies changes us! I cannot remember life before my boys nor do I want to, vomit and all;) I find myself eating half chewed up food out of their hands as they hand it to me throughout the day because I am not near a trash can, hehe...only a mom understands these things. I hope your sweet boy feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been known to eat my boys' leftovers/rejects just to get rid of them, too!
      Thanks... Miles is over the worst, and I think by tomorrow Lennon will be, too.

      Delete
  4. I cant really get my head around this one just yet...but maybe someday I will. You are awesome. Hope Lennon gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was waiting for someone to say that. :) I'll bet one day you'll surprise yourself.

      Delete
  5. {Melinda} You are so right! It is amazing what we'll do for our offspring. I really do believe God uses them to become more compassionate and to look beyond our own self-interests. Well done, mama. You took one for the team. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to pop over and see these curls for myself. So cute! I love this post, especially when you say "...the level of selflessness I saw in mothers seemed unachievable to me." So great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and thanks for stopping by!! :)

      Delete