Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The spirit catches you and you fall down

My book group is reading "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down" by Anne Fadiman during the month of September.

Actually, I'm being generous with myself by calling it my book group.  I joined last year but only went to one meeting.  I love to read and I do read the books every month, but somehow I just don't ever manage to make it to the meeting.  There's a lot of reasons: I only see my kids a few hours a day after school, and I feel guilty when I miss that time with them.  Whim needs a break after being with the boys all day and when I go out, he has to manage the boys on his own all evening, too.  It's expensive.  And even though I like it, it's draining for me to spend time with people after school.

Anyway.  This month, I'm not going to miss it.  I'm only 75 pages in, but I feel a connection to this story.  Anne Fadiman writes about a Hmong family's struggle to juxtapose their cultural understanding of epilepsy with the American medical system.

Again, L has RAS, not epilepsy, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there probably aren't going to be many books out there about southeast Asian kids with RAS.  The Thailand and seizure connection is enough, and the third-culture element is icing on the cake.  I'll take what I can get.


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good read. Glad you have found something that hits home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sarah! The story is interesting enough that I think most anyone would enjoy it. I recommend it as strongly as I can recommend any book that I haven't finished yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book too. It has been a few years since I read it and I still think about it almost every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katy, thanks for visiting my blog! I found your Bigfoot Child blog through my (imaginary and one-sided) internet friendship with Raising Colorado's Zakary. ;)

      The book is haunting, isn't it?

      Delete