Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The reminder weekend

I hinted in my post the other day that our weekend at the beach may not have been 100% awesome.   

Even though we did have plenty of nice moments like these:











We also needed an awful lot of these:





















The waitstaff told us that every dish the hotel served was prepared with MSG.  Of course we ordered separately, but somehow M still ended up with bad reactions for about 3 days.   The coconut has saved us many times, but this time, while it can probably be credited for keeping me from completely losing my mind, it wasn't enough to fully control his reactions.  (I think next time I might try the baking soda and honey, too.  It can't hurt, right?)

This weekend gave us a good reminder.  M was overly emotional and broke down whenever he was frustrated or had to change plans.  On Sunday (a full day after he had eaten any offending food) he was constantly in trouble - pestering people, hands all over everyone, impatient, unresponsive to discipline... It was a sober reminder of what our lives used to be like every day.  I'm so thankful to God that we have found this solution for him. 

4 comments:

  1. Hellow - I'm a working mom (what mom isn't - I'm an outside the home working mom) so I try to catch up on your blog when I can. It's great! What is the baking soda and honey mix? I've recently gone Fiengold and will look for any solution to help our family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, I hear you about doing anything you can to help the family. Someone was just commenting on facebook's Feingold group about this remedy today, so I can tell you what it said there. I haven't tried it yet, but I understand it's 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda mixed into a spoonful of honey. They also said you could mix it in jam or juice or anything else, just to get it down.

      Best of luck and thanks for your kind words about the blog.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! So is it supposed to calm them down if they're having a bad reaction? Worth a try. We had an evil lollipop sneak in (don't ask how) so three bad days. We're finally back to "normal."

      Delete
    3. Yes, that's the claim! I plan to try it next time he reacts and I'll report back. People say an Epsom salt bath helps, too.

      Delete