Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The one where I sound crazy


We have a secret weapon that we use when M gets into additives.

I've heard about Epsom salts, baking soda and honey, seltzer water.  None of them have sounded particularly impressive or inspiring.  But then again, neither would coconut, and the fact is, it's our miracle cure.

I don't know anything about why this works on a chemical level, but young coconut can pull M back from the edge after he's eaten something he shouldn't.  I had a hunch a few months ago when -two mornings in a row- M woke up sweeter and more under control than I'd ever seen him.  I wracked my brain to figure out what might be different, and the only thing I could come up with is that he'd had young coconut as a snack the evening before, both nights.  I've tried it several times since - he has never woken up "off" the day after having young coconut before bed and it has helped him pull himself together many times.

Thai people say that coconut water cleanses us of toxins.  That's the kind of thing I rolled my eyes about a year ago.  Now, M dutifully takes a few swallows of young coconut any time we can feel a reaction brewing.  I'm not interested in using our miracle cure as a safety net, allowing us to go back to processed, unhealthy foods.  But I sure am grateful to have something to help us when the accidents happen.

Here in Thailand, a young coconut is cheaper than a coffee and about as easy to find.  I'm not touting young coconut as an expensive, exotic, superfood cure-all. We eat it all the time anyway, which is how we stumbled upon its super power.  I wonder what other foods act as natural detoxers?

9 comments:

  1. This is very interesting and I would like to know more if you find out more about coconut. Great blog and thanks for visiting mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paige. I agree- it's very interesting. There is all kinds of information out there about healing/detoxing with coconut, but it's hard to know to believe. Personally, it's not the sort of thing I usually believe, and I wouldn't have believed it myself if I didn't see it with my own eyes with our son. That's why I gave this post the title I did. I know it sounds crazy, but for us, it's true.

      Delete
  2. Robin where do you buy it? Is it prepared by a company or in its natural form from a market? I'd like to try it out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rebecca, we usually buy them whole from fruit vendors. They are green and squarish with pointy tops, not dark brown like you think of when you think of coconut (those are the mature ones... but those might also work- I haven't tried it.) This time we bought them from the side of the street, so the vendor poured them into cups for us.

      I've heard people stateside say they find them at ethnic markets. One thing to consider is that if they're expensive there (they might be, not sure) you can scrape out the meat inside and freeze it for use later. Miles never eats more than 3 or 4 bites (he doesn't like it) so you could get lots of good out of just one.

      Delete
  3. Huge thanks to you for this!! We have been living through a HORRIBLE reaction due to having to take one dose of antibiotics with Red 40 and various flavorings while we waited for a compounding pharmacy to get us the dye free version. I found your blog via Die Food Dye and got a coconut (they were $2.99 at Whole Foods) and viola 24 hours later he is doing much better. I noticed it has a diuretic effect and did some reading that suggests to me that might be how it works. Right now I don't even care how it works I am just incredibly grateful to know about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isabelle,
      I'm so glad to hear that. I hate how children's medicines are all heavily dyed, scented, and flavored. Some of our worst reactions have been from medication. I'm glad to hear that it wasn't too hard to find or expensive.

      Although I'm very curious why it works, I'm with you: as long as it works, I don't really care how it does it!

      Delete
  4. I am praying this works for us. Is it the coconut milk or eating the meat of the coconut? Or both? Thanks Karol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The meat, and we give him the water, too. I haven't tried the milk to see if it helps. Good luck!

      Delete
  5. Does it help with the entire episode or do you to keep giving it to him each day? I wish there was something like this that one could find in a dried or bottled version, as this would be hard to find where I live. The only thing I have found that helps is activated charcoal, but the effect only lasts a few hours.

    ReplyDelete