Thursday, September 6, 2012

Miss Mom and The Little Prince

Living in Thailand, our boys have been raised to call the adults in their lives Auntie and Uncle.   Relatives and close friends, naturally, but also friends' parents, our neighbors, the guards, store clerks, random passers-by.

When M came back from his first day of preschool, he called me Miss Mom.  Miss.

 
Something about it just pricked my heart.  Obviously there's nothing wrong with him knowing the word Miss, but it made me sad somehow.  I wondered how exactly he came to learn it.  Did he accidentally call the teacher Auntie and get corrected?  Did he listen to another child use the word and try it out hesitatingly?   I realized that this was the first of a lifetime of things that would happen for him, outside of the home, that I will only ever be able to guess at.

I'll pick him up after school, and when I ask him what he did today, he'll say, "Nothing."

"The little prince, who asked me so many questions, never seemed to hear the ones I asked him. It was from words dropped by chance that, little by little, everything was revealed to me."  Antoine de Saint-Exupery.



2 comments:

  1. Love "The Little Prince: and love that black and white photo you posted. I remember feeling that way too, when my kids first went off to school. I just couldn't believe after all this togetherness that they were spending hours, literally hours away from me and I had no idea what they were doing. It just doesn't seem right, even now that I think about it, even though I have a few years under my belt to get accustomed to it. Hang in there Mama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! I know school and the friendships he builds there are going to be good things. It's just hard to envision that sudden change from together 24/7 to only seeing him for a bit before school in the mornings and a couple of hours after.

      Luckily this preschool is letting us ease into it, just once a week for a few hours. And since I work at the school he'll attend next year, I probably have no business complaining! :)

      Thanks for checking out the blog!

      Delete