Saturday, September 29, 2012

magic chocolate

Most Feingolders have a trick up their sleeve to help their child get through reactions.  While we don't actually follow the Feingold program, it is very similar to how we eat, and we can learn a lot from them.

We're going to pick up some Epsom salts one of these days to give that method a try, and of course we have our young coconut, but the one I hadn't really tried was baking soda.  They say 1/4 to1/2 teaspoon of baking soda mixed into honey or jam (or anything you can think of to get it down) helps kids dial it back when they're having a reaction.

Today M told me he was having a reaction and put himself in time out on the piano bench.  I don't know what he had eaten, but I believe him.  His eyes weren't swollen, thankfully, but he was weepy and overreacting, he had been blowing up at L all morning, and just didn't feel like himself.  I'm proud he's starting to recognize the symptoms.

The other day on the Feingold facebook group, someone commented about mixing baking soda into a little bit of melted chocolate and honey to make a candy that masks the taste.  Genius!   I gave one to M this afternoon and made a few extra to keep in the freezer for emergencies.   

I wish I was having a reaction. ;)
I'd like to try it again before I declare it a miracle cure, but there were no more tears or outbursts for the rest of the day.

(Note: I feel compelled to warn here that while baking soda is safe and natural, it does warn on the box about not using it as an antacid more than 7 times a day, not using the maximum recommended dose for more than 2 weeks straight, and not giving it to children under the age of 5. M will be four next week, but since he only got 1/8 of a teaspoon, I'm not going to worry about it.)


2 comments:

  1. I want to try this! Can it be a miracle cure for any emotional train wreck of a child?

    ReplyDelete