Saturday, September 15, 2012

Fairytale days

I have this love/hate relationship with some of the blogs I read.   On the one hand, I love reading blogs about happy women with gorgeous, healthy children and thoughtful husbands.  Who doesn't like pictures of cheerful, well-groomed children playing on freshly-cut grass and eating ice-cream cones?  I'm inspired by their creative ideas, tidy homes, handmade gifts...

But sometimes it just doesn't feel real.  Aren't their kids ever bratty?  Don't they ever let their kids skip baths and sleep in their clothes and eat pb&j sandwiches for breakfast because they are out of milk and eggs?  Surely I'm not the only mom who doesn't make sensory tubs and themed lunches and seasonal hearth displays? 

I know the truth, though.  Everyone else is stumbling through the best they can, just like I am.  One reason I know this is because, this weekend, without really meaning to, I started planning one of those fake blog posts in my head. We went on a retreat to a nearby beach this weekend with my coworkers, and I took advantage of the perfect lighting and lovely scenery to take some beautiful pictures of the boys.  I was envisioning a post about getting away and how much the boys love the beach and how we need to do this more often.  The pictures I was mentally selecting painted just the right picture, and other pictures that didn't fit the theme were passed over.


Picture I chose: carefree beach boy
Picture I passed over: crying because he got splashed by a wave





Picture I chose: content and peaceful
Picture I passed over: "Up me! Up me"





My perfect "Whim, jr" picture of M.   Actually, I deleted about 11 pictures of him
refusing to pose with Papa and finally settled on this. I love it anyway.






People just don't blog the moments that don't paint that perfect picture.  And I do understand that.  We've all be taught not to air our dirty laundry.  And who wants to see pictures of someone else's kids being brats (especially when they've been dealing with their own kids all day.)

But it's real.  And I don't have much time to devote to reading fairytales about what parenting would be like if kids were always adorable and patience was limitless.  Besides, even though my life isn't perfect, I do get some pretty picture-perfect moments.

8 comments:

  1. gotta love moments with your boys. good ones..and the bad ones..well..you laugh about it afterwards :) love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! The good, bad and the downright ugly, I've lived it too. I get that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Tracy! There's a solidarity among mothers, isn't there, when you open up and admit sometimes you're just making it up as you go along. ;)

      Delete
  3. This post is awesome! Although...it did tempt me to make a snide comment like "What do you mean, Robin? My kids are never bratty..." Well, I guess I made the comment anyway. Couldn't help myself...even while my kids are screaming at this very moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Malia! I would never call your kids bratty, either! :)

      It's funny, because I had no problem using the adjective 'bratty' to describe my boys (at times) but I hesitated using it as a noun near the end. Brat is such a strong word, isn't it? I normally like to refer to the boys as "scamps". It gives a hint to their power of misdoing, but in a cuter way. ;)

      Delete
  4. Great post! I will try to share more less-than-stellar moments. I think it's empowering to other Moms to know that everyone's kid has bratty moments. Or days when you wonder just why you wanted a child so terribly. Or days when you cry as you leave the house because you so just want to crawl back in bed and snuggle with your boys all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel! Empowering is precisely the word. I have a theory that our secret fears of inadequacy lose their power when we bring them to light. When other people own up to their weaknesses, it makes it easier for us to, too.

      Delete