Monday, August 20, 2012

the inspiration

I have never been a health nut.  At almost-thirty, I've never counted calories or fat grams.  I've never tried flax or chia or goji berries.  When I head to the health-food section of the grocery store, I grab my gluten-free cereal and keep moving.

I've never been one of those lucky, eat-anything-and-still-be-amazingly-thin-and-lovely people, but I'm not unhealthy or overweight, either.  I just had never thought much about what I ate beyond the obvious: eat enough fruits and vegetables, drink plenty of water, keep junk food reasonable.  I ate what everyone ate, without much concern about what was hidden inside.  And I fed my boys much the same way.

Thankfully, I was stricter with my boys' diet than I was with my own: no fast food, no junk food, no sweets until age 2.  But I still had no idea how much junk they were really consuming. 

If anyone had tried to convince me that I needed to change our diets, I would have thought they were some kind of conspiracy theorist.  Really, the only ones that could have convinced me were the ones who finally did.

My boys' reactions to typical food forced me to open my eyes to the truth about food additives, whole food, and what it means to be healthy.

I've never been a foodie.  Now, I'm a reluctant health-food fanatic.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome. I was the same way - I came to it slowly but what put me over the edge was The Omnivore's Dilemma. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It seems to me than more and more people are making similar realizations. I hope that means at some point, caring about food additives will become mainstream.

      Delete