Wednesday, August 22, 2012

My deprived two-year-old

Poor, deprived L.


We started letting M have the occasional treat after he turned two - jelly beans on Easter and chocolate kisses around Christmastime, a couple of m&ms if I was having a treat.  Not often, but every once in a while.  Moderation in everything, right?

I figured we'd do things about the same way with L.  Then we discovered the link between his seizures and processed foods last spring- about three months before his second birthday.

M's 2-year birthday cake - his first taste of sweets
L's 2-year birthday - fruit and veggie train

L actually did have a birthday cake at his train party- it was a honey-sweetened, black bean and cocoa cake with no icing.  It looked like all the kids liked it, though a friend told me he saw another mother sneak her piece into the trash.  I admit, it does take some getting used to.

Though most people are fairly supportive of our diet, there are always going to be those people who say the boys are deprived because they don't get to eat junk food.  That childhood is synonymous with fruit snacks and freezer pops, and that if they can't have them, then what's the point of being a little boy?

There's a million ways to answer that: That L's never even tasted those foods, so he doesn't know what he's missing. That M-the one who had his share of treats before we changed our eating habits- turns down junk food voluntarily, even if we aren't around to prompt him.  That surely missing parties and playdates because of meltdowns and seizures is worse than skipping the treats while we are there.  But I think this picture says it best.
L's first "chocolate bar".
He doesn't look deprived to me.  We made these amazing and simple "peanut butter cups" with (safe) chocolate chips, pumpkin seeds, and honey.  L didn't take much convincing.

I intended to make these with sunflower seeds but I couldn't wait.  I did try them again a few days later with homemade chocolate and they were good, too, but very melty.  I want to perfect the recipe before I share, but I sure don't mind eating the rejects!

No comments:

Post a Comment